AEW and Jon Moxley Named in Civil Lawsuit Alleging Negligence and Assault Following 2023 Incident
AEW and Jon Moxley Named in Civil Lawsuit Alleging Negligence and Assault Following 2023 Incident according to a new report from Jon Alba and Sports Illustrated.
A longtime production crew member has filed a civil lawsuit against All Elite Wrestling (AEW) and current AEW World Champion Jon Moxley (real name Jonathan Good), alleging multiple counts of negligence, civil assault, and battery in connection with an incident that took place during an episode of AEW Dynamite in 2023.
The lawsuit, filed on May 30 in Wayne County Circuit Court, was brought forth by Christopher Dispensa, a veteran production specialist in the wrestling and entertainment industry who has worked with AEW since 2019 through Broadcast Service Group, a third-party vendor that supplies crew for AEW events. Although not a direct employee of AEW, Dispensa had been actively involved with the promotion until December 5, 2024. His legal representatives at Raitt Law, PLLC, confirmed he has not worked with AEW since that date and was demoted by Broadcast Service Group without explanation.
Allegations of Injury and Negligence
Dispensa alleges he sustained severe neck and shoulder injuries during the May 10, 2023, episode of Dynamite in Detroit, Michigan. The episode featured a high-profile steel cage match between Moxley and Kenny Omega. According to the lawsuit, during a sequence in which Moxley retrieved a screwdriver to use in the match, he allegedly shoved Dispensa—then positioned outside the ring—to the ground without warning or pre-arranged choreography.
As a result, Dispensa claims he required cervical fusion and shoulder surgery, along with treatment for other injuries. The lawsuit characterizes Moxley’s actions as outside the planned performance, asserting that the shove constituted civil assault and battery, and was either intentionally harmful or grossly negligent.
The suit further contends that Moxley had a “history of disciplinary issues” while under AEW’s employ—allegations disputed by several high-ranking AEW sources. Speaking anonymously to The Takedown on Sports Illustrated, these individuals described Moxley as a “locker room leader” and expressed surprise at the characterization, noting no known history of disciplinary concerns.
AEW’s Role and Response
The complaint levels significant criticism at AEW, accusing the promotion of gross negligence in both its handling of the incident and its oversight of Moxley. It argues AEW failed to implement adequate safety measures for production staff and neglected to control the conduct of its contracted performers. Dispensa’s legal team asserts that AEW bears responsibility for not exerting reasonable oversight over its talent and failing to prevent foreseeable harm.
Additionally, the lawsuit states that Dispensa informed multiple AEW staff members of his injuries on the night of the incident. Among those reportedly notified were ringside physician Dr. Michael Sampson, director of performance psychology Chris Manzione, and a member of the athletic training staff. Dr. Sampson, who was allegedly nearby during the incident, is said to have expressed concern and directed Dispensa to receive medical attention. However, Dispensa never filed a formal report, citing obligations with another tour engagement.
Later, Dispensa claims he was told he would no longer receive treatment from AEW’s athletic staff and that the incident was never officially acknowledged. According to his attorneys, he met with AEW President Tony Khan and General Counsel Chris Peck to discuss possible full-time employment in the months following the incident, but the injuries were not formally addressed during those discussions.
Damages and Legal Proceedings
The lawsuit seeks damages in excess of $25,000 and cites medical expenses, lost wages, diminished earning capacity, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and potential long-term disfigurement. The filing also mentions exemplary damages for emotional and reputational harm.
AEW has declined to comment on the pending litigation, stating through a spokesperson: “AEW does not comment on pending litigation.”
Moxley, who has been a major figure in AEW since joining the company in 2019 and is currently reigning as AEW World Champion, is slated to defend his title against “Hangman” Adam Page at AEW All In on July 12. A status conference for the lawsuit is scheduled for August 29.
This developing legal matter adds a significant off-ring complication for AEW as it prepares for one of its marquee events of the year.
We will keep you updated here at Bodyslam.net as more information regarding the ongoing lawsuit involving Jon Moxley and AEW as it becomes available.
Go to eatshroombar.com and use code Bodyslam at checkout for 25% off your first order.
📺 FOLLOW & SUBSCRIBE:
- 🔗 Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/BodyslamNet
- 🔗YouTube: https://www.YouTube.com/@BodySlamNet
- 🔗 Twitter: https://www.Twitter.com/BodyslamNet
- 🔗 Facebook: https://www.Facebook.com/BodyslamNet
- 🔗 Website: https://www.Bodyslam.net
- 🔗 Discord: https://discord.gg/pwnexus
- 🔗 Donate: https://www.SlamChats.com
- 🔗 Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bodyslam-net-pro-wrestling-and-mma-podcasts/id1597223420
- 🔗 Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/4e69419f-4edb-4a71-bb1c-135caa275cda/bodyslam-net-pro-wrestling-and-mma-podcasts-interviews-news-and-more
- 🔗 iHeart Radio: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/269-bodyslamnet-pro-wrestling-91327468/
- 🔗 Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/2kJXcW9A1syn9lUpwtqD37
Want to discuss wrestling further? Join our Discord community by clicking here!
If you enjoy Bodyslam’s content, you can help donate to the site here. You can also visit our PWTees store and buy Bodyslam official merchandise here.
You can listen to all of Bodyslam’s podcasts by following us on Spotify and subscribing to our YouTube Channel, Twitch, Apple, Google, or any of your favorite podcast platforms.
Follow me on X: @ToddHomegrown
Follow us on X: @BodyslamNet