Becky Lynch’s open challenge may continue, but it is not guarenteed.
Prior to Monday Night RAW last night, it was reported that Lynch would be defending her NXT Women’s Title vs Tegan Nox, but the plans were changed. Natalya would instead be Becky’s opponent, with Lynch walking out the victor, retaining her championship.
Fightful Select now reports that Lynch and Nox had already laid out their match at the time of the plans changing. They also noted that there was a hope that the open challenge’s would continue in the future.
Becky Lynch had pushed for Tegan Nox to get the match on WWE Raw, but it was ultimately changed. Fightful Select learned that all day, the plan had been for Nox vs. Becky Lynch. However, we’re told that about ten minutes before doors opened, the plans changed. Lynch and Nox already had their match laid out, which was to be produced by TJ Wilson. Fightful wasn’t given a particular reason why, but Natalya and Tegan Nox’s spots were switched, with Natalya challenging for the NXT Title instead and Nox working Main Event against Xia Li. Over the weekend, Fightful reported that higher ups had been very happy with Natalya working two matches in India. Over the past number of months, there had been no significant creative plans for Tegan Nox, unfortunately. Those that we spoke to said that as of now, the optimistic hope that the “open challenge” will continue, but there’s no guarantee of that.Fightful Select
We will have to wait and see how NXT will continue to draw in viewers but with the success of last week’s episode, we may see even higher ratings for WWE’s developmental brand in the coming weeks.