Tradition returned to the world of professional wrestling on April 27th, 2019 as the National Wrestling Alliance and Ring of Honor collaborated to bring back the historic Crocket Cup Tag Team Tournament. This historic winners of this tournament that gained prominence as part of Jim Crockett Promotions include 1986 winners the Road Warriors, 1987 winners Nikita Koloff and Dusty Rhodes, and 1988 winners Sting and Lex Luger. The decision was made for the Crockett Cup to return in 2019 and tonight it returned in a huge way as NWA joined promotional forces with Ring of Honor to crown the first Crockett Cup winners in 31 years. It must be noted also that not only would the Crockett Cup be on the line, but so too would be the NWA World Tag Team Championship as well.
The site was the Cabarrus Arena in Concord, North Carolina and the scene was set for an epic night of professional wrestling in the home state of NWA’s brightest days in the 80’s. That being said, it seems that NWA’s resurgence is right on track and the National Wrestling Alliance and Ring of Honor put on an epic show for the fans both in the arena and watching on pay-per-view. The theme was retro, throwback, and classic and this writer loved it and so did the live crown in the Tar Heel State. Old school TV graphics and ring design brought the viewing audience back to 1988 and it was truly a feel good night as NWA and ROH reminded the world of what professional wrestling is all about.
Here is a rundown of the night’s results:
Royce Isaacs and Thomas Latimer win the Wild Card Tag Team Battle Royal for the 8th and final qualifying spot in the Crockett Cup tournament.
- 1st Round of Crockett Cup/NWA World Tag Team Championship Tournament
Bandido and Flip Gordon victorious against Stuka Jr. and Guerrero Maya Jr.
Wild card team, Royce Isaacs and Thomas Latimer winners over The War Kings
10-time former ROH World Tag Team Champions the Briscoe Brothers defeated 5-time former NWA World Tag Team Champions the Rock ’n Roll Express
Villain Enterprises victorious against Yuji Nagata and Satoshi Kojima
- NWA Women’s Championship Match
- **At this point in the evening, former multiple time Women’s champion Madusa made and appearance introducing the participants in the following NWA Women’s Championship Match. (Originally Jazz was set to defend the championship, but it was announced that after a historic reign of 948 days she would be vacating the title).**
Allysin Kay defeated Santana Garrett to become NWA Women’s Champion
- Semi-Finals of Crockett Cup/NWA World Tag Team Championship Tournament
- **Prior the the semi-finals ROH’s own Caprice Coleman had an interview with former World Tag Team and United States Tag Team Champions, the Midnight Express members Stan Lane, Bobby Eaton, and Dennis Condrey. They would receive a well-deserved round of applause from the audience not only for their legendary tag team history, but also for Dennis Condrey winning his battle against cancer. **
Royce Isaacs and Thomas Latimer victorious against Bandido and Flip Gordon
- **WWE Hall of Fame inductee and former Women’s Champion Madusa returned to ringside to give Isaacs and Latimer some unexpected advice, which seemingly led to this semi-finals victory. **
Villain Enterprises winners over The Briscoe Brothers via disqualification
- **Following the contest, which was tainted in fans eyes by a controversial DQ of The Briscoes due to use of chairs, they would beat down Villain Enterprises with those chair out of frustration. That frustration was due to the fact that both teams used the chairs, but only the Briscoes were caught. That would lead to the bell ringing and Villain Enterprises advancing to the Crockett Cup finals.**
- NWA National Heavyweight Championship Match
Colt Cabana becomes the new NWA National Champion defeating Willie Mack
- **Post match “The Cowboy” James Storm appeared and cut a promo in the ring saying that the next time Colt Cabana see’s him it will be for the NWA National Championship.**
- Finals of Crockett Cup for the NWA World Tag Team Championship
- ** Before the finals commenced, legendary NWA superstars Nikita Koloff and Magnum TA were introduced to the crowd by Caprice Coleman. Nikita would present the Tag Titles and Crockett Cup to the eventual victors. As it turns out, Madusa’s advice for Isaacs and Latimer was not a one time thing, as to the surprise of the viewing audience she would accompany this wild card team to the ring for the Crockett Cup Finals. Following their entrance would be the entrance PCO and Brody King would were visibly injured from the chair attack of the Briscoes earlier in the evening. **
Villain Enterprises are the new National Wrestling Alliance World Tag Team Champions and the 4th prestigious Crockett Cup winners as they were victorious against Royce Isaacs and Thomas Latimer.
- NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship Match
- **Brian Hebner would be the official for this main event world title match, but as an added bonus feature, the man who has officiated more National Wrestling Alliance World Championship matches than anyone , the legendary NWA referee Tommy Young gave the instructions to the combatants Marty Scurll (challenger) and Nick Aldis (champion).**
Nick Aldis retains the NWA Worlds Heavyweight championship via submission over Marty Scurll
Check out the #HubbardWrestlingWeekly podcast featuring exclusive interviews with wrestling stars from MLW, Shimmer, House of Glory, All Elite Wrestling and more… on HUBBARDWRESTLINGWEEKLY.COM , iTunes, Stitcher, and Google Play. Follow Sean Hubbard on Twitter @Hubb_Wrestling