It was reported earlier in the week by Omar Al Raisi of The Sports Journal in Dubai that Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor will have their highly anticipated rematch, although this time inside the octagon in a modified rules MMA Fight.
UFC President Dana White addressed the reports of the rumored fight by emphatically dismissing Al Raisi’s claims. Regarding the rumored fight, White said “None of that is even close to true. Dumbest shit I have ever heard.”
You can see Dana’s exchange on twitter embedded below:
None of that is even close to true. Dumbest shit i have ever heard.
— Dana White (@danawhite) April 10, 2018
In a follow up to his original claim, Al Raisi clarified his report on the SiriusXM Radio’s Boxing Radio Show “At The Fight”. Al Raisi said:
“What I’m trying to say is, number one I’m not claiming that the fight is confirmed, absolutely not.
Whether there’ll be takedowns, elbow, or ground game – these are certain things that Floyd has stated, if a rematch happens it will be in the octagon with four-ounce gloves to build up interest, or else no one’s gonna buy it.
Both parties have not agreed. There’s no pen to paper. These are certain things that were discussed. It went back and forth.
We saw Floyd confirm it on Showtime. Dana White himself said the fight has a big chance to happen in the UFC and there is big money for Floyd Mayweather to accept it.”
You can listen to Al Raisi’s comments on Sirius XM Radio’s “At The Fight” below:
— SiriusXM Boxing (@SiriusXMBoxing) April 10, 2018
(Thanks to Jesse Levine for sending this along to us.)